I <3 my Centro + EVDO + PocketTunes + AudioGateway + a Jabra BT8010 + QuickNews + a good selection of podcasts. It's like wireless streaming podcast heaven.
Tag Archive for 'centro'
I bought Mobile Stream’s USB Modem a bit ago. My laptop at the time didn’t have Bluetooth, so I used it exclusively over USB. Then, I recently got a new laptop that does have Bluetooth. USB Modem works over bluetooth, so I set about figuring out how to set it up. Apparently, it’s supposed to be obvious how to set it up because the USB Modem documentation simply says “Consult the documentation that comes with your Bluetooth software on setting up the DUN connection,” and I could not find any documentation with my bluetooth “software”. My Internet search turned up a bunch of nothing. So, I took bits and pieces of clues from different places, rolled up my sleeves, broke and had to restore my computer and figured it out. I’ll list what I did for the benefit of others cause it worked for me and may work for someone else.
First, we add the bluetooth modem.
- Pair the Centro with the computer (even _I_ figured that out without any frustration)
- Bring up the Bluetooth Devices window (Start -> “bluetooth” -> Bluetooth Devices)
- Go to the COM Ports tab and click Add…
- Ensure Incoming is selected and click OK
- Go to the Devices tab, select your Centro and click Properties
- Go to the Services tab, put a check next to Dial-up networking (DUN) and click OK
- Click OK again to get rid of the Bluetooth Devices window
- On the Centro, select Bluetooth connectivity mode and enable modem mode (I also suppressed built in DUN under the menu options in USB Modem)
Then, we create the network connection.
- Go to the Network and Sharing Center
- Click “Connect to a network” link on left
- Click “Standard Modem over Bluetooth link” or whatever you named it
- Enter the phone number (#777 for me with Sprint) and the username/password for your data plan (the username is displayed in the network prefs on the Centro; I’m not sure exactly where to find the password, but I got mine from a representative one time when on the phone)
- Click Connect
Does it work? I think those are the steps I followed. I sometimes have to toggle the bluetooth radio on my laptop to get it to work. I have a Dell Latitude D630 with Vista. I assume, but don’t know, that you could safely substitute “Treo” for “Centro” in the instructions above.
I hope that helps someone!